The UAChoirs are pleased to present the UA High School Honor Choir. Participants, among the most motivated in their schools, are admitted by audition and participate in honor choir activities on the UA campus. The choir will be evenly balanced in each section.
The 2019 UAHSHC is led by Dr. Elizabeth Schauer on October 25–26, 2019.
Participating students and directors will have a variety of valuable experiences during their time in Tucson. In addition to rehearsing, students will be able to attend a course taught by a UA faculty member, to hear and sing with the Symphonic Choir, and to get to know each other. Directors will have a chance to network, attend rehearsals, participate in educational sessions, to receive professional development hours and to rehearse and perform with Symphonic Choir as well. The weekend will conclude with the Honor Choir Festival Concert on Saturday at 1:30 pm, featuring the Honor Choir, Symphonic Choir and Arizona Choir. Also on the concert will be distinguished soloists chosen from the honor choir audition process and soloists from UA as well.
Read carefully to learn about the audition process:
- All students submit auditions electronically through this Google form.
- If you need assistance or an exception (e.g. to submit via cd), please contact Lylah Field by email.
- Students should go to the link below and fill out the form in its entirety, then see their directors for the sight-singing, aural recall, major/minor scale and solo portion of the audition.
- There is a $5 application fee for each student that must be postmarked by Sept. 9 (checks only please: Dr. Elizabeth Schauer, Fred Fox School of Music, 1017 North Olive Road, Tucson, AZ 85721). If you need an exception, please contact Lylah Field by email.
- Teachers also will need to fill out and submit the short google form below for each student. Once you have compiled your students' recordings, fill out the director survey found at the link below for each student. On the form, you will answer questions about each student, then upload the audio files. You will be informed when one of your students completes the student form.
- Submissions are due by midnight on September 9. Please let us know if you need an exception.
Teachers and students will be notified of results by September 20. Music, hotel information, etc. will be distributed at that time and a registration/music fee of $30 per accepted student will be due.
If you would like to receive this letter and other materials digitally, please let Lylah Field know at the email address above.
Directors accessing this information electronically must contact Dr. Schauer to have sight-reading and aural recall examples mailed to them privately.
Audition requirements, recorded in any order the student wishes:
- Sing one to two minutes only of a prepared solo from the classical repertoire
classical, sacred music, art or folk songs, and arias suitable for high school use all are appropriate.
- Sight-read all of the included melodic and rhythmic examples. This should be unprepared sight-reading even though it is recorded.
- Sing a major scale and a natural minor scale without piano (teachers may give students an appropriate starting pitch but may not set the key).
- Sing back intervals from the aural recall sheet. Piano plays one at a time then voice responds (students may not look at interval sheet).
Questions, contact Dr. Elizabeth Schauer at 520-626-8936 or by email.